Saturday, 7 December 2013

Convocation Speech

Friends, professors, administrators, academic associates and parents, welcome. So... here we are, finally, to celebrate our success.

Can you believe it? It's been 20 months since we walked into this very auditorium for the very first time, as anxious and as nervous as we were on the first day of our primary school. When we arrived here, many of us had practically not completed a single meaningful day at business… we were the freshmen. Now, those same 20 months later, we are leaving this course not just as a postgraduate but also as a far more aware & far more responsible wealth creators.

It has been quiet a long and short journey for all of us. Long because of tiring lectures, never-ending DIYAs and all the crazy assignments that we had to deal with while dedicatedly trying to focus on business back home… Our teachers, of course, spent an inhuman amount of time here, ensuring that our lives remained that way. Well, teachers, administrators and 'ekosh', thank you so much for putting up with our tantrums and ensuring that we completed all of it effectively and efficiently. It really helped us understand our business, our people and ourselves quite well. I am sure, you would agree that we have become smarter now ;)

This journey seems short because of the lifelong friendships, the lasting memories, and the truly interesting and amazing things that we learned between the occasional bits of hardwork. Good or bad, long or short, I will always remember this place.

Personally, I have always believed that a great institution’s hallmark is not really the course but the diversity & quality it brings together to a classroom- as students and teachers. I... and I believe all of us have been quite blessed to be a part of FMB in that aspect. We have not few but many a great humans around us in our batch, who taught us about companionship, sportsmanship, humility, business principles and life in general.

One of my greatest teacher from my school days once told us that- Sign of a healthy growth in a student is-- fearless questioning. But while we do so, we end up creating a lot of trouble for our teachers. I’ve been quite a troublemaker myself. For a teacher, it takes real courage and strong will to let their guard down and still be able to enlighten troublemakers like us. Well, we have no dearth of such gurus here at SP Jain. Thank you teachers and administrators once again.
  
I would like to end this speech with a quote, which I happen to have read yesterday on facebook. 'There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.’ Those are the words of Nelson Mandela.

So What’s next? Well, exactly what FMB taught us. The field is set, and now its your turn.


My Fellow Fmbians, Congratulations and all the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment